St. John Technical and Educational Campus (SJTEC) National Service Scheme (NSS) organized a 7-days Residential Camp from 21st to 27th January 2018 at Dongari Pada, Bhonar Pada, Brahman Pada, Kosbad, Dahanu. There were 100 students from St. John Technical Campus – selected from the NSS units of Engineering, Pharmacy and Humanities Institutes to set out for the 7-days camp in order to serve the society as a team and to make a difference in Traditional thinking of rural community. Students were accompanied by Mr. Sachin Urade, NSS Co-ordinator St. John Technical Campus, Mr. Amol Gholap NSS Programme Officer of St. John Institute of Pharmacy and Research and Mr. Maqsood Memon NSS Programme Officer of St. John College of Humanities and Sciences.
The camp was inaugurated with a brain storming session on social service and an ice breaker session was held in which all students were divided into different groups. Later, different tasks were assigned to each group throughout the seven days. Each day began at 5:30 am followed by a hill-jog at 6.00 a.m followed by yoga. Soon Students got accustomed to this routine and participated responsibly.
Activities Conducted in 7 days’ Residential Camp at Dongari Pada, Bhonar Pada, Brahman Pada, Kosbad, Dahanu.
1) Inaugural session by Ms. Pourinma Meher (President, Fishermen and Tribals Welfare Society) on Social Welfare activities
2) Special visit of the recent Dahanu Incident Heroes who saved life of many victims
3)Workshop on “Superstitions and its Misconceptions” for NSS conducted by students, villagers and Mr. Anna Kadlaskar (BARC scientific Officer)
4) Road construction and leveling work in Dongari Pada village.
5) Health and Hygiene Awareness, Handwash Practical Demonstration, Free Soap distribution program by Sundara NGO and NSS Volunteers
6) Cleanliness drive in the local premise of the “Dongari Pada” Village
7) Special visit to Lakshmi Pada Village and Various field works like – Construction of five check dams in the village.
– Construction of soak pit for garbage collection.
– Plastic Garbage collection and cleanliness drive
– Construction of road and filling of potholes.
– Ploughing and sowing of Fenugreek seeds.
– Awareness session on disposal of sanitary pads and medical waste.
8) Visit of NSS District head at Camp site and Brainstorming session on social responsibilities and leadership.
9) Republic Parade on 26th January with local school and authorities.
10) Skit play on Drug Abuse, Cleanliness and hygiene and Women empowerment on Republic Day.
11) Various cultural activities during the 7 days camp.
Every student contributed solely for the social cause of the camp i.e. to improve the standard of living of the village community. Each event had a new challenge and a new excitement. The NSS volunteers made sure they gave their best throughout the day. Cultural events added flavour to the camp initiative which enhance confidence, team work and humility among students. The respective group in-charge conducted various programs which included Advertisement making, Acting, Dancing, Singing, Skit play, Hidden talent search, Quiz competitions etc. which presented opportunities to all students to showcase their hidden talent and explore new ones.
Every activity began and ended with “NSS clap” which emphasized unity, fraternity and equality.
St. John Technical & Educational Campus believes in ideology of unity and commitment towards Society. It also believes in taking initiative of being the change and encouraging all the NSS Volunteers understand the bigger role they are playing for development of Society. This camp was one of the initiative towards making this world a better place.